Brought to you from the table of The School House Bed and Breakfast in Historic Rocheport ,MO Our signature breakfast entree’ and perennial guest favorite!
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
- 6 double slices of french bread (usually you can get this from one loaf)
- 3 oz pkg. cream cheese or orange flavored cream cheese
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or red rasberries
- Powdered suger (for garnish)
Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Spread a thin slice of cream cheese between 2 partially sliced pieces of French bread and gently press together to seal. (Option: You also spread a little orange marmalade over the scream cheese for variety)
Place bread in a baking dish
Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Add milk, vanilla, nutmeg; beat well
Cover and refrigerate overnight
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover baking dish; bake approx 25 until top of toast is lightly golden.
For Fruit Syrup:
In a medium saucepan, melt butter on low heat. add brown sugar and orange juice. On medium heat, bring to a gentle boil, then add fruit. Simmer until heated though. Ladle over baked toast, garnish with powered sugar and serve immediately.