Baked Garden Omelette from the kitchen of School House Bed and Breakfast in Rocheport Mo. Great prep-in-advance option for omelettes for a crowd! Vegetarian and gluten-free. Recipe can be easily doubled for more servings.
Print This Recipe
Baked Garden Omelette
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 15 Minutes
- 1 lb shredded cheese; cheddar, Monterey Jack or blend
- 3/4 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 c. diced sweet bell pepper (red, orange, yellow, etc.)
- 1/4 c. butter or olive oil
- 9 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 1 c. cottage cheese
- 2 tsp. dried herbs provence
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric for color--optional
Spread half of shredded cheese in greased 9x13 glass baking dish and set aside.
Saute' fresh vegetables in melted butter or olive oil until soft, but not browned. Sprinkle with dried herbs provence and stir together.
Layer saute'd vegetables over cheese and top with remaining half of cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
In medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, cottage cheese and seasonings together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
When ready to bake, pour egg/milk mixture over cheese layer and bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until egg filling is set.
Cut into 6 squares and serve hot.